The STARFISH awards are suitable for introducing babies from 0-2 years to swimming. This offers a progressive aquatic awareness programme for parent/carers with their babies and combines fun activities with free play in a safe environment.
1. Perform a safe entry into the pool
2. Using swing dips, introduce baby to the water
3. Supporting baby on the front and move freely around the pool
4. Supporting baby on the back and move freely around the pool
5. Cueing baby and wash face with water
6. Exit pool safely
1. Holding the baby facing you, submerge yourself in the water for baby to see
2. Move freely around the pool using the safety hold
3. Move around the pool usingseat hold, bobbing baby up and down
4. Supporting baby on the back while walk backwards and zigzagging through the water
5. Encourage baby to wash their face with water or submerge baby in the water, holding baby towards the adult
6. Encourage baby to hold onto the poolside.
1. Supporting baby under the arms and encourage baby to flop gently into the water from a sitting position on the poolside
2. Encourage baby to move from a front position to a back position using flip-flop rhythmical movements
3. Encourage baby to reach for a toy while moving around the pool.
4. Helping baby to use a kicking action to move through the water while supporting baby on the back
5. Using the safety hold to support baby and rolling baby away, then gently back
6. Use a buoyancy aid for support, float in the water and lay baby on your chest or have baby sit on your tummy, all the while making eye contact.
1. Supporting baby by the arms or hands to encourage movement into the pool from a sitting position
2. Using a forward hold to encourage and gently submerge baby
3. Using the Little Harbour hold to move around the pool while encouraging movement from baby
4. Encourage baby to roll from a front position to a back position with support
5. Encourage movement from baby by swiftly walking backwards while supporting baby on the back
6. Assist and encourage baby to hold onto the poolside and climb out
1. Holiding baby's arms or hands, encourage baby to jump into the water from a standing position on the polside
2. Supporting baby, encourage them to roll from a back position to a front position
3. Encourage baby to make kicking movements with support either in a front surf hold or using a woggle
4. Encourage baby with cues to submerge in a Duckling Dive
5. Swim around the pool with baby holding onto an adult's back
6. Cue baby to submerge vertically and rotate 180 degrees in the pool.
7. Supporting baby in a front hold, encourage baby to move forwards and grasp a toy, then return with support in a back float position.
1. Encourage baby to enter the water freely from a sitting position on the poolside
2. Encourage baby to move freely through the water, either with minimal support or with the use of a buoyancy aid
3. Cue baby to submerge vertically and rotate 360 degrees in the pool
4. Supporting baby by the hands and encourage movement in a figure of 8 or sanking patern through the water
5. Take baby for a front or back ride through the water, with or without support
6. Cue baby to submerge in a Duckling Dive towards the poolside and encourage baby to hold onto the poolside and climb out